Tuesday, November 17, 2015

INTRO.How I grow vegetables using Bio Dynamics

Hi my name is Mark Rathbone, and I'm writing this blog so that you can see how we grow vegetables biodynamically a daily basis.
Refer to the bottom of this blog for regular updates.
Since 1996, I have run my business called save our soil and our mission is to show people the benefits of biodynamic agriculture. We do that in a number of ways 1 growing healthy tasty vegetables and selling them direct at farmers markets and 2 supplying information through various media.
My parents started biodynamic dairy farming in 1965 and retired in 2011. I have continued the family's tradition of growing biodynamic food, but we have downsized to a 50-acre property.
The land is situated in northern Victoria Australia add a small place called Wyuna East about 15 kilometres north of Kyabram.
We grow over 40 different varieties of fruit and vegetables on a seasonal basis. This helps feed over 200 families from the inner suburbs of Melbourne.
Even though it is a 200 kilometre trip to Melbourne it is well worth the effort. We go down to market every Saturday.
We spend from Monday to Wednesday planting and maintaining crops. Thursday and Friday picking then Saturday is market day.
We make a full-time income from this. I am helped by my wife who works 2 days a week packing and my father who does another day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment